I have been on the hunt for a nice fringed kimono for a long time. It's taken so long because the things are freaking expensive. Why are such impractical pieces of clothing the ones that cost the most? It is a conundrum that will haunt me for the rest of my days.
As most of my stories begin, I was searching Google for "cheap fringed kimonos." A link popped up for a DIY from The Merrythought, which is a super cute blog that is definitely now on my reading list!
And I was like "WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS."
This DIY is adapted from theirs.  The biggest difference is that I couldn't find a robe that I liked (and felt uber-skeeved sifting through the lingerie section of Goodwill), so I altered a top instead.

Here's what you need:


If you're super crafty, you can use a sewing machine, but alas, I am not.  My hand stitched kimono is holding up just fine.

Here's what you do:

1. Cute your sheer top down the center.  Go slow; since you're altering a top and don't have extra fabric lying around you want to make sure you don't cut a crooked line.

*cat optional.

2. Hem where you just cut.  This step is tempting to skip, but if you do your top will fray. I'm all about shabby chic, but falling apart is where I draw the line. Pin about a half inch of fabric back and sew down the line.  You may want to iron it out before you stitch so that it lays flat.



3. Once you're all hemmed up, it's time to add the fringe!  Lay your top down flat, so that the whole bottom hem is in one line.  Line up your fringe and trim it to fit.  I used a yard almost exactly.


4. Stitch your fringe in place.  Most fringe that you buy from sewing stores will have little loops across the top specifically for sewing it onto something - THESE LOOPS ARE YOUR FRIEND. USE THEM. It takes longer than just stitching right through, but the hold will be stronger and look better.

That's it!  You just saved yourself about 75 big ones!


I'm obsessed with this thing; I think I've worn it every day since I made it.  Look for a post later this week on a few different ways to wear your little bit of craftyness!






Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!